From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:50:38
1 Luke-Jr posted <200409272020.58709.luke-jr@×××××××.org>, excerpted below,
2 on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:20:55 +0000:
3
4 > On Monday 27 September 2004 7:50 pm, Travis Tilley wrote:
5 >> wtf crack monkey voted to remove dhcpcd from the system profile? i
6 >> dunno about you guys, but i like actually being able to connect to the
7 >> internet. it's as essential as ifconfig.
8 >>
9 >> since i'd like to at least have a usable system of some kind, i've
10 >> re-added dhcpcd to the amd64 2004.3 profile. please do me a favor and
11 >> do NOT remove it again.
12 > I didn't do it, but dhcpcd sure isn't essential to get an internet
13 > connection. I've heard of various other methods such as setting a static
14 > IP, PPPoE, PPP/dialup, pump (BOOTP/DHCP client), etc... IMO, removing it
15 > was a good idea.
16
17 No kidding. I'm on amd64 here, and don't need nor want dhcp-anything. It
18 doesn't belong in the default profile, any more than NetBIOS over TCP/IP
19 belongs in the MS default profile. If it's not needed, as it isn't for
20 many folks, it shouldn't be installed, for security reasons.
24 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
25 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
26 Benjamin Franklin
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list