From: Allen Parker <infowolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:33:04
1 On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:41:30 -0700, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Luke-Jr posted <200409272020.58709.luke-jr@×××××××.org>, excerpted below,
3 > on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:20:55 +0000:
7 > > On Monday 27 September 2004 7:50 pm, Travis Tilley wrote:
8 > >> wtf crack monkey voted to remove dhcpcd from the system profile? i
9 > >> dunno about you guys, but i like actually being able to connect to the
10 > >> internet. it's as essential as ifconfig.
11 > >>
12 > >> since i'd like to at least have a usable system of some kind, i've
13 > >> re-added dhcpcd to the amd64 2004.3 profile. please do me a favor and
14 > >> do NOT remove it again.
15 > > I didn't do it, but dhcpcd sure isn't essential to get an internet
16 > > connection. I've heard of various other methods such as setting a static
17 > > IP, PPPoE, PPP/dialup, pump (BOOTP/DHCP client), etc... IMO, removing it
18 > > was a good idea.
19 >
20 > No kidding. I'm on amd64 here, and don't need nor want dhcp-anything. It
21 > doesn't belong in the default profile, any more than NetBIOS over TCP/IP
22 > belongs in the MS default profile. If it's not needed, as it isn't for
23 > many folks, it shouldn't be installed, for security reasons.
24
25 If you think that removing dhcpcd pisses *you* off... perhaps you can
26 explain why there aren't any ftp/http clients on the livecds?
27 *someone* thought it would be a good idea... hence... i've been
28 "cooking" my own livecds with actual useful stuff on them... ncftp,
29 elinks, NO dhcpcd, automatic network configs that conform to *MY*
30 networks 10.0.x.x vs 192.168.x.x with default nameservers/gateways
31 already active... in regards to *your* configurations, travis, just
32 wondering, are you building dedicated machines with static public ips?
33 (i've done it over ssh... thanks ovh.net!)
34
35 Rarely, if ever, do I personally have a machine that *requires* dhcp
36 to install/setup/etc... and if i do... "emerge dhcpcd" seems to work
37 alright for me, y'know? I'm currently managing about 4 machines (I
38 know, not that many) that have dhcpcd installed on them because I
39 don't have the time to go fuck with the default profiles and *REMOVE*
40 it, despite these particular machines having static PUBLIC ips..
41
42 *your* particular dependance on dhcpcd shouldn't be the subject of
43 public debate. *your* particular dependance on dhcpcd should be
44 handled by you, on *your* personal machine by simply emerging dhcpcd
45 along with *your* choice of bootloader, *your* choice of system logger
46 and *your* choice of cron daemon.
47
48 this is the beauty of gentoo... please, leave *your* personal
49 preferences out of *your* decision making process when it effects
50 *your* users.
51
52 this isn't a flame... only a request for sanity.
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list