From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in net-analyzer/tcpreplay: ChangeLog tcpreplay-3.4.5_beta2.ebuild
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 05:41:34
1 В Птн, 29/10/2010 в 19:29 +0200, Michał Górny пишет:
2 > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:12:38 +0400
3 > Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > > Please, hard mask beta versions.
6 >
7 > I personally don't see a reason why he needed to do that.
8 > If a particular package was a popular one and/or the beta version
9 > changed a lot which might imply a lot of users getting trouble due to
10 > it, then I would agree.
11
12 If the package is not popular there is even more reasons to rely on the
13 upstream's judgment and hard mask betas.
14
15 > Please notice that 'beta' is not the same for each upstream. There are
16 > indeed packages which are in 'beta' state for the time being -- would
17 > you like all of them to be hard masked?
18
19 Until you have explicit "go for it" from upstream or there is no real
20 pressure to use betas, please, hard mask them.
21
22 > Or maybe you're fine with them because they don't put 'beta' in their PV?
23
24 I'm fine in case upstream released package for general usage and we use
25 them. I'm not fine in case package name suggests that package is for
26 testing but we push it on users. Beta is beta.
27
28 And for the sake of discussion I already had not so nice talks with
29 upstream about Gentoo and beta versions we push on users... So this
30 request is not out of the air.
33 Peter.