From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: remove sci-geosciences/googleearth from the tree
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 00:50:16
1 On 07/22/2013 01:49 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 21/07/2013 23:38, hasufell wrote:
3 >>>> - consistency of tree quality
4 >> does not apply to p.mask'd packages
5 >
6 > p.mask says that the package is in _bad_ quality, explicitly, and you
7 > can say how, so "does not apply" are not really the words I'd use.
10 I did not know that p.mask is used indefinitely for low quality packages
11 and I don't like that concept.
12
13 >>>> - less user confusion (the checksum failures alone get us a lot of bugs
14 >>>> every release without people realizing what it means...) and people
15 >>>> expect packages to work in the tree
16 >> maybe
17 >
18 > Not p.masked packages they don't. Just state it outright, maybe even
19 > fetch-restrict the package and warn them...
20 >
21 >>>> - less bugs no one can do anything about
22 >> does not apply
23 >
24 > *How* does making it into a semi-official one-purpose overlay reduce the
25 > number of bugs users report? Either you're banning it into a
26 > non-Gentoo-owned overlay, or you're just betting they would get the
27 > reason why it's not in an overlay, same applies to p.mask.
28
29 It will reduce the number of bugs, because there will be no bugtracker,
30 but only pull-requests. It would not be hosted on o.g.o. which means
31 gentoo bugs are not allowed.
34 >>>> - easier contribution of users in an overlay, testing of hacks or other
35 >>>> stuff to make it work
36 >> does not apply
37 >
38 > I'm afraid I have to agree with Michael here. Proxies would do that, and
39 > users are still free to experiment with overlaid version, I don't see
40 > how this makes much of a difference.
41
42 Well, I actually only mentioned that point as a side effect. Until
43 now... no one was able to provide a patch to fix one of the bugs you can
44 read in a hundred forums and bug trackers.
45
46 But it wouldn't make much of a difference, that's probably true.
49 >>>> - making clear that gentoo does not support software with such low QA
50 >> does not apply
51 >
52 > It applies perfectly. It's a p.mask for a reason, and can convey reasons.
55 It does not apply, because we still support it officially in our main
56 tree as a distribution, no matter if it's p.masked or not.
57
58 One could probably argue that no one cares about this difference, but
59 it's still true.
62 Anyway... if people disagree, then it doesn't make much sense to remove
63 it. Otherwise it will pop up in the tree sooner or later again.