From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: remove sci-geosciences/googleearth from the tree
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:49:00
1 On 21/07/2013 23:38, hasufell wrote:
2 >>> - consistency of tree quality
3 > does not apply to p.mask'd packages
4
5 p.mask says that the package is in _bad_ quality, explicitly, and you
6 can say how, so "does not apply" are not really the words I'd use.
7
8 >>> - less user confusion (the checksum failures alone get us a lot of bugs
9 >>> every release without people realizing what it means...) and people
10 >>> expect packages to work in the tree
11 > maybe
12
13 Not p.masked packages they don't. Just state it outright, maybe even
14 fetch-restrict the package and warn them...
15
16 >>> - less bugs no one can do anything about
17 > does not apply
18
19 *How* does making it into a semi-official one-purpose overlay reduce the
20 number of bugs users report? Either you're banning it into a
21 non-Gentoo-owned overlay, or you're just betting they would get the
22 reason why it's not in an overlay, same applies to p.mask.
23
24 >>> - easier contribution of users in an overlay, testing of hacks or other
25 >>> stuff to make it work
26 > does not apply
27
28 I'm afraid I have to agree with Michael here. Proxies would do that, and
29 users are still free to experiment with overlaid version, I don't see
30 how this makes much of a difference.
31
32 >>> - making clear that gentoo does not support software with such low QA
33 > does not apply
34
35 It applies perfectly. It's a p.mask for a reason, and can convey reasons.
36
37 It's your package, do what you want, but stop just trying to force your
38 views into suggestions, just because you already reached your
39 conclusion, please.
42 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
43 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/