From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: CJ Kucera <pez@××××××××××××.com>
Cc: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:07:53
1 On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 12:50, CJ Kucera wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:50:27AM -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Here's a paragraph I wrote earlier:
4 > >
5 > > "If Gentoo distributes a GPL program or driver that can build against
6 > > any of the XFree86-licensed sources (for example, the SDK), Gentoo
7 > > probably violates the GPL. If Gentoo distributes a GPL XFree86 driver
8 > > (for example, x11-misc/synaptics) that can load into this X server,
9 > > Gentoo probably violates the GPL."
10 >
11 > Well, I'm probably just not nuanced enough with this kind of licensing
12 > mess, but so long as Gentoo isn't providing the actual code for 4.4,
13 > compiled or otherwise, I'm afraid I just don't see the problem. Yes,
14 > somebody could use an XFree 4.4 ebuild, link some other programs against
15 > it, and then be violating the GPL, but I don't see how that's any
16 > different from someone merely installing XFree 4.4 themselves, or
17 > creating their own ebuild for 4.4, and doing the same.
18
19 Our *distribution* probably would not be affected, but our LiveCDs,
20 GameCDs, and GRP definitely would be affected.
21
22 > One of the things I've always liked about Gentoo is that since it
23 > rarely actually *distributes* software, it's just providing instructions
24 > on how to get the software up and running. You may be providing some
25 > GPL driver that *can* be linked against 4.4, but it wouldn't be violating
26 > the GPL itself.
27 >
28 > But regardless, like I said, I've doubtless got an incomplete
29 > understanding of the whole situation, so I suppose I'll just keep
30 > quiet about it. :)
31 >
32 > Thanks for the explanations,
33 > CJ