From: CJ Kucera <pez@××××××××××××.com>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:50:37
1 On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:50:27AM -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Here's a paragraph I wrote earlier:
3 >
4 > "If Gentoo distributes a GPL program or driver that can build against
5 > any of the XFree86-licensed sources (for example, the SDK), Gentoo
6 > probably violates the GPL. If Gentoo distributes a GPL XFree86 driver
7 > (for example, x11-misc/synaptics) that can load into this X server,
8 > Gentoo probably violates the GPL."
9
10 Well, I'm probably just not nuanced enough with this kind of licensing
11 mess, but so long as Gentoo isn't providing the actual code for 4.4,
12 compiled or otherwise, I'm afraid I just don't see the problem. Yes,
13 somebody could use an XFree 4.4 ebuild, link some other programs against
14 it, and then be violating the GPL, but I don't see how that's any
15 different from someone merely installing XFree 4.4 themselves, or
16 creating their own ebuild for 4.4, and doing the same.
17
18 One of the things I've always liked about Gentoo is that since it
19 rarely actually *distributes* software, it's just providing instructions
20 on how to get the software up and running. You may be providing some
21 GPL driver that *can* be linked against 4.4, but it wouldn't be violating
22 the GPL itself.
23
24 But regardless, like I said, I've doubtless got an incomplete
25 understanding of the whole situation, so I suppose I'll just keep
26 quiet about it. :)
27
28 Thanks for the explanations,
29 CJ
32 WOW: Kakistocracy | "The ships hung in the sky in much the same
33 apocalyptech.com/wow | way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams,
34 pez@××××××××××××.com | _The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy_
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list