From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] tracking distfiles
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:43:50
1 A guy here in NZ (where net connections are not quite third world, more
2 like world-2.5) is planning to compile a gentoo dvd, with a fair old
3 load of distfiles for the bandwidth challenged. He is a regular
4 opensource cd distributor.
5
6 Now I have explained to him why its not really feasible for him to try
7 and mirror distfiles even on a dvd so we are going to try and include
8 the source files for current stable.
9
10 I told him I thought that it would probably be feasible to write a
11 script to parse the portage tree, and to download all the files
12 necessary for all the latest current stable builds in there. (Actually
13 we have no idea even how much that is, but it certainly doesn't involve
14 5 or 6 versions of kde & gnome :-)
15
16 Anyway I told him I would ask around here to see if there is a current
17 tool to do what i am suggesting.
18
19 something like:
20
21 command to establish latest stable version list|emerge -f
22
23 perhaps harder: prune it to current.
24
25 His idea is to create dvd's more or less on demand, order one today and
26 it will have what is current today.
29 Thanks for all and any tips.
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list