From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding/disabling MD5 checksums
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 16:20:38
1 On Monday 30 July 2001 01:14, you wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 09:40:54PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > My question got lost in the howto thread, so I'm reposting here.
6 > >
7 > > How can I override checksum checking/generation in an ebuild? Some things
8 > > e.g. the howto ebuilds need this, because they're auto-updated 5 days a
9 > > week and we obviously can't keep checksum lists for all versions.
10 > > Therefore the ebuild should only check that the archive extracts with no
11 > > errors.
12 >
13 > You cannot override the md5 checks. They exist to ensure archive
14 > integrity, which is a good thing. Right now, you need to create a new
15 > ebuild for each new package version, as the package version of the ebuild
16 > and the actual src archive should be equivalent.
17
18 So do you want me to create a new ebuild 5 days a week? And the end-user
19 would have to 'emerge rsync' 5 days a week to emerge the latest version?
20
21 Now, we (pm and I) have spoken to the linuxdoc.org guy, and he's agreed to
22 make archives with timestamps in their filenames. But, mirrors probably won't
23 be keeping more than two or three old versions. So again we need to update
24 *something* 5 days/week.
25
26 What do you propose?
27
28 (Someone should include MD5 checksums as a server-side function in the
29 http/ftp protocols. :-)
33 Dan Armak
34 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
35 Matan, Israel