From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] issues with installing a new kernel
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 19:21:48
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 10:47:51AM -0700, Pete Gavin wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I found a couple of issues with installing a new kernel...
7 > >
8 > > First of all, I accidently installed the package w/o first mounting
9 > > /boot. So, after I rebooted, grub loaded the old kernel, since it
10 > > wasn't overwritten by the new one. I don't know if it would be a good
11 > > idea to mount /boot from the ebuild script, but we should maybe add
12 > > some kind of warning to it to at least remind people of it. Second, I
13 > > *do* think it would be a good idea to add depmod -a {kernel_version}
14 > > to the ebuild script, since this only changes stuff in the new module
15 > > directory, which just got installed anyways. What do you guys think?
16 >
17 > I think it would be good if the /boot mounted check were done in the
18 > pkg_preinst() function, which gets called right before a merge.
21 But a /boot partition is not neccesary.
22
23 > Yes, it's fine to call depmod -a; if possible, find a way to make it
24 > work with ${ROOT} so that we can merge to non-root filesystems and
25 > have depmod operate on the correct set of modules.
26
27 achim~
31 > Thanks again,
32 >