From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] issues with installing a new kernel
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:24:24
1 On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 10:47:51AM -0700, Pete Gavin wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I found a couple of issues with installing a new kernel...
5 >
6 > First of all, I accidently installed the package w/o first mounting
7 > /boot. So, after I rebooted, grub loaded the old kernel, since it
8 > wasn't overwritten by the new one. I don't know if it would be a good
9 > idea to mount /boot from the ebuild script, but we should maybe add
10 > some kind of warning to it to at least remind people of it. Second, I
11 > *do* think it would be a good idea to add depmod -a {kernel_version}
12 > to the ebuild script, since this only changes stuff in the new module
13 > directory, which just got installed anyways. What do you guys think?
14
15 I think it would be good if the /boot mounted check were done in the
16 pkg_preinst() function, which gets called right before a merge.
17
18 Yes, it's fine to call depmod -a; if possible, find a way to make it
19 work with ${ROOT} so that we can merge to non-root filesystems and
20 have depmod operate on the correct set of modules.
21
22 Thanks again,
25 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
26 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org