From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 12:33:10
1 On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 14:15:11 +0200
2 Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Personally I use it as 'I sign off on the Author's work'. I suppose the
6 > > commit itself is good enough for this but I personally prefer verbosity.
7 > > It also calls out that it wasn't my work.
10 > This sounds more like a reviewed by or acked by?
11
12 I think the important use-case here is to understand why you can't rely
13 on other headers.
14
15 The beauty of Signed-Off-By is if you cherry-pick a commit with it, its
16 preserved.
17
18 Default behaviour:
19 - Author is preserved from first committer
20 - Committer is changed every time the commit itself is rebased,
21 cherry-picked, etc.
22
23 So if this commit was to get teleported to a different repo,
24 --signoff by would be preserved, as an intermediate between these two.
25
26 So I think the intent for this is "X reviewed these changes for Gentoo
27 and takes responsibility for them"
28
29 what text you use to convey that is irrelevant, as long as its used
30 consistently and everyone understands what the text means.
31
32 git help commmit, emphasis added:
33
34 > Add Signed-off-by line by the committer at the end of the commit log message.
35 > ***The meaning of a signoff depends on the project***, but it typically
36 > certifies that committer has the rights to submit this work under the same
37 > license and agrees to a Developer Certificate of Origin
38 > (see http://developercertificate.org/ for more information).
39
40 And I think people get hung up too much on the second half of that
41 statement.
42
43 Sure, we could use some other header, but this one is standard and part
44 of default git tooling.
45
46 So its at least practical.