From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:14:11
1 * Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto schrieb am 01.08.11 um 11:19 Uhr:
2 > I agree with Eray. Furthermore, please stop trying to reverse "the
3 > game". It's those that want to break existing policies and conventions
4 > that have to justify why they want to do that, not those that want to
5 > keep using what has worked for years.
6
7 I wouldn't call the current static -workarounds, and files from / using
8 files from /usr, neither a clean solution or working
9
10 The separation is unnecessary maintaince burden for something that has
11 maintaince free replacement
12
13 > You may not need or like it, but I want to be able to use
14 > partition schemes like the following without needing to use
15 > an initramfs:
16
17 Sorry for dismissing the lines below that ":" mark then. Feel free to
18 ignore me, no offense taken, but I'll be disappointed if you won't
19 provide a reasoning for resisting part of the solution
20
21 > Also, desktop users that don't split the /usr path might not like the
22 > "stress" that /usr/portage will add to the / partition - not to talk
23 > about the size and inode constraints.
24
25 Good point, so handbook will need a patch for /usr/portage partition
26 recommendation after the fact
27
28 > I'm growing tired of how complex and over-designed desktop technologies
29 > that hide stuff from the users keep trying to break the "unix way" and
30 > convince us they're "awesome". No, I don't need or want *kit, groups
31 > exist for something. No, applications that do "magic stuff" with dbus
32 > and xml (and I like xml) on the users back and hide how X work aren't a
33 > "good thing(tm)".
34
35 Then one should do something about it, like providing an alternative or
36 at very least, provide upstreams with patches for making the new stacks
37 optional
38
39 > Finally, Gentoo's init system is and will likely be for a long time
40 > openrc, so stop trying to push crazy or experimental init systems - most
41 > with a seemingly "poor design" and unable to do what an init system
42 > needs to do (start and stop services).
43
44 This isn't about systemd, but indeed it will solve one compability
45 obstacle for them too. No harm there.