From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 19:55:47
1 On 08/01/2011 07:10 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > * Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto schrieb am 01.08.11 um 11:19 Uhr:
3 >> I agree with Eray. Furthermore, please stop trying to reverse "the
4 >> game". It's those that want to break existing policies and conventions
5 >> that have to justify why they want to do that, not those that want to
6 >> keep using what has worked for years.
7 >
8 > I wouldn't call the current static -workarounds, and files from / using
9 > files from /usr, neither a clean solution or working
10 >
11 > The separation is unnecessary maintaince burden for something that has
12 > maintaince free replacement
13
14 Right. The root problem at the core of this whole discussion is that
15 separating / and /usr is really a dependency satisfaction problem that
16 requires maintenance.
17
18 It seems absurd to manage this kind of dependency problem by hand when
19 we can use the package manager to do it. For example, we could have
20 packages that install into / set something like
21 PROPERTIES="available-when-init-starts" (of course we'd use a shorter
22 name), and the package manager would then be able to trigger a QA
23 warning if one of these packages depends on a package that does not have
24 PROPERTIES="available-when-init-starts" set.
25 --
26 Thanks,
27 Zac