From: Collins Richey <crichey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:46:10
1 My $.02 after reading a lot of discussions on the CentOS (ie free
2 REHL4) list is this:
3
4 1. Many Enterprise users are looking for an SLA, ie someone who will
5 guarantee to fix anything that breaks in a specified period of time.
6 Such users have the big bucks to pay for such a guarantee. I'm sure
7 that Gentoo will not be in a position to provide this, but some
8 enterprising group might want to undertake this.
9
10 2. Enterprise users (as a general rule) are not interested in the
11 latest and greatest but rather in a stable, reasonably current system
12 that can remain in place (with guaranteed security fixes, of course)
13 with no "feature creep" for a few years. Even Gentoo stable is too
14 much of a moving target for such users. The user base (engineers
15 developing embedded Linux) I support is still well served by RH9 for
16 the most part!
17
18 Not to say that Gentoo has no place in a production environment, but
19 my company would never use anything without an SLA, ie not even CentOS
20 which mirrors REHL faithfully.
23 Collins
24 Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but
25 the Start button.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list