From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise resumed again (was Resignation)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 05:56:34
1 On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 01:38:42 -0400 Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 06:30 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > Their commit history backs it up all by itself.
5 |
6 | Ppint to specifically what, in their respective histories, proves your
7 | case. This is like pulling teeth.
8
9 No, the question is what in their respective histories refutes it. And
10 the answer here is nothing. QA ability isn't something that's assumed,
11 it's something that has to be demonstrated.
12
13 | > | Where is this code being pushed to, exactly?
14 | >
15 | > Users.
16 |
17 | Please note the difference between pulling and pushing. Pushing
18 | implies that people who don't want sunrise on their systems have to
19 | have it and have to use it. This is not the case. So, again, where
20 | is this code being *pushed* to, exactly?
21
22 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060619-newsletter.xml
23
24 | > The correct way to push through a large change is part of the
25 | > developer quiz. There's no excuse for anyone not knowing it.
26 |
27 | Was it really a *large change* that they pushed through? They haven't
28 | altered the way anybody does things. Any developer or user going
29 | about their normal business does not even have to *think* about
30 | sunrise. Not that large a change, after all.
31
32 Any developer going about their normal business now has to worry about
33 an officially approved BMGalike, and whether it's causing the bugs
34 they're receiving. Any developer going about their normal business now
35 has to worry about people who know little about the packages they
36 maintain pushing out content that would ordinarily be covered by their
37 herd to users via a back route.
38
39 | > Would you fly in a plane being piloted by Britney Spears?
40 |
41 | What do I care what the pilot's name is?
42
43 You care whether or not the pilot knows how to fly a plane.
44
45 | And how is that relevant to
46 | the discussion, when you've yet to actually show why any of the
47 | Sunrise staff is unfit.
48
49 To continue with the plane analogy, you don't assume that everyone can
50 fly a plane until they disprove it by crashing one.
51
52 | Furthermore, there were other questions I asked that you completely
53 | removed from your reply. Please answer those as well.
54
55 They're not relevant to this discussion. We're not discussing what the
56 right solution is, we're discussing why Sunrise is the wrong solution.
57 There's a hell of a difference -- as an illustration, most people could
58 tell you why giving everybody nukes is the wrong way to get peace in
59 the middle east, but very few could tell you what the right way is...
62 Ciaran McCreesh
63 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
67 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list