From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:34:20
1 W dniu nie, 10.09.2017 o godzinie 00∶39 -0700, użytkownik Daniel
2 Campbell napisał:
3 > On 09/09/2017 12:47 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > W dniu pią, 08.09.2017 o godzinie 17∶19 -0400, użytkownik Rich Freeman
5 > > napisał:
6 > > > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:05 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > >
8 > > > > What do you think about it? Is there anything else that needs being
9 > > > > covered?
10 > > > >
11 > > >
12 > > > FYI - if anybody does want to make any comments on the proposed
13 > > > devmanual changes to implement the new tags please comment at:
14 > > >
15 > > > https://github.com/gentoo/devmanual.gentoo.org/pull/72
16 > > >
17 > > > For that matter, if you want to even know what the proposed changes
18 > > > are you should also visit the link.
19 > > >
20 > > > List replies seem to be discouraged.
21 > > >
22 > > > I realize that some prefer to limit comments to media that are purely
23 > > > open source. I guess the FOSS Linux kernel provided /dev/null still
24 > > > exists as an alternative. Honestly, I'm not sure which of the options
25 > > > are more likely to get read.
26 > > >
27 > >
28 > > TL;DR: Rich, I would really appreciate if you stopped the flamebaits.
29 > > I understand that you think you're doing Gentoo a favor but you're not.
30 > >
31 > > The footers were discussed to death in this very thread. I've heard your
32 > > opinions. However, as far as I'm concerned (and as I've pointed out) you
33 > > did literally *nothing* to push your ideas forward for 2+ years.
34 > >
35 > > Since I've done all the work, I've did it my way and for the reasons
36 > > I've explained multiple times. If you disagree, them I'm sorry but
37 > > in life you don't get to have everything your way. Especially if all you
38 > > do is complain and expect others to do the work for you.
39 > >
40 > > I understand that you're unhappy and since you have no valid arguments,
41 > > all you can do is try to get more people to support you and shout.
42 > > Revive the bikeshed as many times as possible, try to make a lot of
43 > > noise and block changes. Worst case, you've blocked something you didn't
44 > > like. Best case, you're finally get others so discouraged that they'll
45 > > do things your way just so that you stop.
46 > >
47 > > Rich, this is not a kindergarten. It's time you learn to lose,
48 > > and accept the consequences. If you can't do that, the door out is open,
49 > > and you're free to leave anytime you want.
52 > This behavior is not befitting Gentoo leadership. Limiting commentary to
53 > a walled garden outside Gentoo control violates one of our goals
54 > (independence), and the incendiary retorts are no more mature than the
55 > behavior you're criticizing. Nothing will change in the way people
56 > respond to you until you learn how to treat others.
57 >
58 > By all means, I'm glad we're seeing some action on which tags to settle
59 > with. It's been a mess of confusion ("which tags do I use? Will this
60 > tick someone off?", etc), and will be easier to build on once we figure
61 > out the tags that'll work best. It'll be awesome to get automatic bug
62 > closing from a commit, and I suspect it'll bring a lot of good. Settling
63 > on tags allows us to automate more. However, as a Council member, the
64 > Gentoo community looks to you and your behavior as an example. Is this
65 > the example you want to set for our community?
66 >
67 > On the GitHub Issue, you called this mailing list "completely useless"
68 > [1], and then you sent your message above a little later. Would you want
69 > to work with someone who talks to you the way you treated Rich?
70
71 Yes, I did call it useless *multiple times*, and I've pointed out
72 the problems. Considering they were ignored and the quality of
73 the mailing list hasn't improved, this statement still stands.
74
75 Rich should have talked to me if he had problems with understanding my
76 comment or missed the context to it. What he did instead is beginning
77 a public stone throwing session. This is not a kind of behavior I am
78 going to accept, or respond kindly to.
79
80 It's elementary. If you have a problem with me, talk to me first. Not go
81 pointing fingers and shouting 'this person is bad'.
82
83 > None of this bickering is motivating or inspiring to those who read it,
84 > and leadership should know better than to stoop to this level publicly.
85 > You will not get more developer activity, agreement, cooperation, or
86 > contribution by berating your fellow developers. In fact, Gentoo is
87 > known for its bickering developer community. You are in a position to
88 > change that. You asserted in #gentoo-trustees that the Council *is*
89 > Gentoo's leadership.
90 >
91 > Is this your brand of leadership?
92 >
93 > ~zlg
94 >
95 > [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~zlg/useless.png
96 >
97 > (screenshotted since GitHub conversations can be curated.)
98
99 I'm not going to answer to your political propaganda. We don't need more
100 politicians like you in Gentoo. We need actual people who do stuff
101 rather than talk about theory to the point when everybody is so tired
102 nobody wants to do anything anymore.
106 Best regards,
107 Michał Górny