From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 03:27:38
1 On 07/17/2012 09:28 PM, Jeff Horelick wrote:
2 > On 17 July 2012 21:17, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3 >> On 07/17/2012 08:46 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> If we don't do anything, then lots of stuff moves to /usr. I think
5 >>> that is what you're missing. The /usr move basically starts happening
6 >>> on its own automatically if we DON'T do much. This is because
7 >>> upstream is the one pushing it.
8 >>
9 >> Which upstream is pushing this? So far, only RedHat wants this and their
10 >> ability to get various upstreams to try to force it is rather limited.
11 >> The only upstream where I have seen any indication that this could be
12 >> forced is systemd.
15 > Forgetting that GNOME is mostly managed by RedHat employees, OpenSuSE
16 > and Mageia tend to follow RedHat's lead....I can probably go on if I
17 > cared to do more research.
20 GNOME is part of the GNU project, so we should be safe unless they
21 decide against portability. OpenSuSe and Mageia are other distributions,
22 so they are not upstream for us.