From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 01:44:04
1 On 17 July 2012 21:17, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On 07/17/2012 08:46 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> If we don't do anything, then lots of stuff moves to /usr. I think
4 >> that is what you're missing. The /usr move basically starts happening
5 >> on its own automatically if we DON'T do much. This is because
6 >> upstream is the one pushing it.
7 >
8 > Which upstream is pushing this? So far, only RedHat wants this and their
9 > ability to get various upstreams to try to force it is rather limited.
10 > The only upstream where I have seen any indication that this could be
11 > forced is systemd.
14 Forgetting that GNOME is mostly managed by RedHat employees, OpenSuSE
15 and Mageia tend to follow RedHat's lead....I can probably go on if I
16 cared to do more research.