From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:53:56
1 Lares Moreau wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 12:14 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
3
4 > I have been involved with many Volunteer organisations over the last
5 > couple years. Not all computer related. Something Gentoo is notably
6 > missing is a Mission Statement. IMO a Mission statement acts as a beacon
7 > on the horizon, allowing us to have a gauge against which to measure our
8 > progress. In the process of discussing and generating this statement the
9 > issues mentioned above, can be ironed out and/or flamed about.
10
11 A mission statement only goes so far. The underlying leadership has to
12 make sure that statement is upheld and kept alive. Too many folks have a
13 mission statement, but no one ever remembers what it is or abides by it.
14
15 I guess I'm almost hinting at that Gentoo needs a single entity that's
16 sole purpose is to drive/research the direction and goals for Gentoo.
17 It'd be almost ceo-like, but the council is still top dawg. Right now, I
18 view our group as a bunch of chiefs with no real single leader saying
19 "lets strive to do this". The main problem is, too many people fear
20 about such a person could turn into a dictator, so I'm not sure if this
21 could ever happen. This person would be in constant contact of all the
22 groups and try to muck together what everyone is doing. They could
23 suggest things to help minimize user impact, maybe try to join two
24 projects if they are both working on a similar goal, thus minimizing the
25 workload. Stuff like that essentially. We need a good visionary. If such
26 a position were created, I also think that person's sole focus should be
27 that focus within Gentoo. (i.e. they aren't a major contributor for a
28 subproject in Gentoo). This position would take too much time for them
29 to keep those other duties.
30
31 Dunno, maybe I'm the loner here thinking this...
34 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
35 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
36
37 ---
38 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
39 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
40
41 ramereth/irc.freenode.net