From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:08:53
1 On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 12:50 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > A mission statement only goes so far. The underlying leadership has to
3 > make sure that statement is upheld and kept alive. Too many folks have a
4 > mission statement, but no one ever remembers what it is or abides by it.
5 I guess there isn't one driving force behind Gentoo - we have many
6 differing opinions on things like QA, handling of bugs, ...
7
8 It's just that usually Gentoo gets the least in your way when you're
9 trying
10 to do something :-)
11
12 > I guess I'm almost hinting at that Gentoo needs a single entity that's
13 > sole purpose is to drive/research the direction and goals for Gentoo.
14 There was this Robbins guy ... remember him? ;-)
15 > It'd be almost ceo-like, but the council is still top dawg. Right now, I
16 > view our group as a bunch of chiefs with no real single leader saying
17 > "lets strive to do this". The main problem is, too many people fear
18 > about such a person could turn into a dictator, so I'm not sure if this
19 > could ever happen.
20 I wonder if any single person would be accepted?
21 After all there is noone capable of forcing anyone to do anything as far
22 as I can tell - worst case you fork Gentoo (again) and don't resolve
23 the issues.
24 > This person would be in constant contact of all the
25 > groups and try to muck together what everyone is doing. They could
26 > suggest things to help minimize user impact, maybe try to join two
27 > projects if they are both working on a similar goal, thus minimizing the
28 > workload. Stuff like that essentially.
29 Communication ... should happen anyway, but it seems to get more and
30 more
31 difficult. Another layer of bureaucracy won't help that ...
32 > We need a good visionary. If such
33 > a position were created, I also think that person's sole focus should be
34 > that focus within Gentoo. (i.e. they aren't a major contributor for a
35 > subproject in Gentoo). This position would take too much time for them
36 > to keep those other duties.
37 ... and you'd burn out a capable person within half a year I think
38 > Dunno, maybe I'm the loner here thinking this...
39 Maybe a bit idealistic, but I mostly agree :-)
40
41 Patrick
42 --
43 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move