From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:54:00
1 On 02-01-2006 20:03:54 +0100, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 12:50 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
3 > > I guess I'm almost hinting at that Gentoo needs a single entity that's
4 > > sole purpose is to drive/research the direction and goals for Gentoo.
5
6 Or call it proper hierarchy. Management. Probably all evil words, in
7 this context, but they for sure apply.
8
9 > > It'd be almost ceo-like, but the council is still top dawg. Right now, I
10 > > view our group as a bunch of chiefs with no real single leader saying
11 > > "lets strive to do this". The main problem is, too many people fear
12 > > about such a person could turn into a dictator, so I'm not sure if this
13 > > could ever happen.
14 > I wonder if any single person would be accepted?
15
16 If it isn't one person, then you would need to find two persons or even
17 more that are completely aligned and have the same visions. Since
18 leaders usually are charismatic and controversial where necessary to
19 achieve their goals, it is hard to find two that don't get conflicts,
20 stalling any vision to become a mission.
21
22 > After all there is noone capable of forcing anyone to do anything as far
23 > as I can tell - worst case you fork Gentoo (again) and don't resolve
24 > the issues.
25
26 ...or only resolve the ones that you care about. Your first sentence
27 forms the basis of the problem, IMHO.
28
29 > > This person would be in constant contact of all the
30 > > groups and try to muck together what everyone is doing. They could
31 > > suggest things to help minimize user impact, maybe try to join two
32 > > projects if they are both working on a similar goal, thus minimizing the
33 > > workload. Stuff like that essentially.
34 > Communication ... should happen anyway, but it seems to get more and
35 > more difficult. Another layer of bureaucracy won't help that ...
36
37 Call it "bureaucrazy", or whatever you like. I think it has nothing
38 to do with bureaucracy at all. It's just a matter of having
39 communication on a high level, in order to get an overall view of
40 Gentoo. IIRC this is one of the tasks of the council, to align teams
41 somehow, for example.
42
43 > > We need a good visionary. If such
44 > > a position were created, I also think that person's sole focus should be
45 > > that focus within Gentoo. (i.e. they aren't a major contributor for a
46 > > subproject in Gentoo). This position would take too much time for them
47 > > to keep those other duties.
48 > ... and you'd burn out a capable person within half a year I think
49
50 Depends on the person. Lance is just putting a lot of Mintzberg and
51 probably (work) experience on the table to apply it to Gentoo.
52 But ok, fine, if that's the case, gives a nice refresh rate :) (j/k)
53
54 > > Dunno, maybe I'm the loner here thinking this...
55
56 Well, you're not alone for sure ;) However, the amount of measures to
57 take, why and what are a bit of an open question to me. I do, however,
58 share your concerns of a missing 'Mission Statement'. It is a commonly
59 known problem and primary point of concern (ie. Heene).
63 Fabian Groffen
64 --
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list