From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 67 is in, please update your metadata.dtd!
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:46:13
1 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I might be asking this for a second time, but why does repoman download
5 >> the metadata.dtd at all? If one fetches from
6 >> git://../gentoo-mirror/gentoo (or via rsync, afaik) it is included
7 >> in /usr/portage/metadata/dtd/.
8 >
9 > repoman is a developer tool. The git repo used by developers does not
10 > include metadata.dtd.
11
12 repoman is useful for everybody who manages a local
13 or public repository. I guess only a small number
14 of these people use the developers' git repo.
15 (For instance, I am one of these...)
16
17 It would be nice if repoman would first check whether
18 the file is in some ${repo}/metadata/dtd/
19 and download to DISTDIR only as a fallback.
20 Or if it can be at least configured (e.g. with an option)
21 to check for this file (maybe the path can be configured, too)
22 before downloading metadata.dtd.
23
24 In fact, I was so annoyed by the forced downloading
25 (which as mentioned is a permission/security issue)
26 that I regularly apply a patch to portage which sets
27 the download interval to (almost) infinity.
28 Perhaps I am not the only one who did such a hack.