From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:39:39
1 Kari Hazzard wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:35 am, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
4 >> I hate to break it to you, but there really is no such place for such
5 >> queries. We generally consider it rude when users whine about stable
6 >> keywording. Therefore, I don't feel bad about a short response.
7 >
8 > If questions on a particular topic get asked frequently, and indeed they
9 > do, maybe there should be an official place to ask them. Saying
10 > something along the lines of "this is the wrong place to ask, there is
11 > no right place, so don't ask at all" to a customer would get any
12 > employee of any business fired or given a stern warning instantly. It
13 > doesn't matter if the person is customer support, a clerk, a developer,
14 > management or whatever. It's unbecoming and does not promote a positive
15 > image.
16
17 If we had an official place where people could complain about ebuilds
18 not being stabilized, then I have a feeling most developers would avoid
19 it like the plague. Stuff like this is along the same lines as the
20 "bump it!!!eleventy-one11!11" bugs which get filed the minute there is a
21 new release of some program. We tend to hate that, and there isn't much
22 that could be done other than closing them with prejudice.
25 >> Not really, I can only do what I do because I read stuff. Anybody
26 >> else can easily do the same.
27 >
28 > That makes the assumption everyone has the same amount of knowledge you
29 > did when you started using Gentoo.
30 >
31 > I don't know C#, for example. As a result, any attempt to program with
32 > Mono would be futile and result in failure.
33
34 So? The only language which I know is fortran, and then I always have
35 to look at my fortran references when I want to write a new program.
36 Otherwise, I know just enough about bash syntax to get around ebuilds,
37 and even then I always look at other ebuilds or references for examples
38 when I need to do anything. The point here is that anybody with any
39 sort of training in some sort of computer related field probably knows a
40 hell of a lot more than me by default. Yet, I'm perfectly capable of
41 doing Gentoo development by RTFM.
44 >> I would like to point out that it was you who flamed me for apparently
45 >> saying RTFM, when in fact if you read my original email, I did nothing
46 >> of the sort.
47 >
48 > You gave a logical RTFM. You're being literal with words when the
49 > meaning of what you said should be fairly clear. You didn't want to
50 > answer the question, so you flamed the person who asked instead of
51 > answering or defering to a more helpful individual.
52
53 Not really. I should have actually pointed out that there is no (good)
54 place for such queries originally, but I was doing about 10 things at
55 once, and just sent the typical "don't send offtopic stuff to the
56 gentoo-dev list" reply. Look back through the archives...this is pretty
57 standard.
60 >> I merely pointed out what should have been clear to anyone
61 >> that signed up for this list, that it is not for whining about arch
62 >> keywording.
63 >
64 > Not everyone is like you. There are all sorts of different people out
65 > there who process information in a lot of different ways. Without a
66 > stated correct place for asking questions about keywording, it wouldn't
67 > be hard to rationalise that the proper place is the dev mailing list.
68
69 Except that it isn't the proper place. It is for discussion of
70 technical matters concerning the development of Gentoo. The closest
71 place that might be sort of on-topic is the gentoo-desktop list, but I
72 generally don't recommend that list because it seems like nobody bothers
73 to answer questions there for the most part. I think the problem is
74 that the RightPeople(TM) (meaning all the members of the teams for each
75 desktop herd) probably aren't subscribed there.
78 > You say it should be obvious like it's fact. Not everything is obvious
79 > to everyone--Not everyone is a Steve or Stephanie. They may interpret
80 > conveyed information in different ways and the ambiguity does not help
81 > at all.
82
83 It should be obvious to anybody who bothered to read the description for
84 this mailing list before signing up. I can't fix ignorance.
87 > There's a reason devs rarely answer questions. Devs should do what they
88 > do best, code and fix problems according to SE principles. If you really
89 > want to answer questions, go ahead, but if you don't want to be helpful,
90 > don't say anything. Someone else who does want to will chime in with a
91 > helpful response.
92
93 My reponse was helpful. I guarantee you (unless that person is really
94 dense) that they won't use this list to complain about stable keywording
95 again. Furthermore, any currently subscribed list user who didn't know
96 before will certainly know now.
99 >> Sounds like you had an agenda to bitch about and found my
100 >> email to be convenient. In other words, you have no point.
101 >>
102 >> -Steve
103 >
104 > I do have an agenda. I won't deny that. I think the Gentoo philosophy is
105 > essentially perfect, both as a development philosophy and also as an
106 > operational philosophy. When I see a dev who violates this philosophy
107 > with the way they behave, I am inclined to call them on it.
108 > Kari Hazzard
109
110 I'm sorry that everyone doesn't conform to your perfect utopian view of
111 the world.
112
113 Now, seeing that this thread itself has become terribly off-topic, this
114 will be the last thing I will say on the subject.
115
116 -Steve
117 --
118 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list