From: Kari Hazzard <karimarie@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:14:05
1 On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:35 am, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > I hate to break it to you, but there really is no such place for such
3 > queries. We generally consider it rude when users whine about stable
4 > keywording. Therefore, I don't feel bad about a short response.
5
6 If questions on a particular topic get asked frequently, and indeed they
7 do, maybe there should be an official place to ask them. Saying
8 something along the lines of "this is the wrong place to ask, there is
9 no right place, so don't ask at all" to a customer would get any
10 employee of any business fired or given a stern warning instantly. It
11 doesn't matter if the person is customer support, a clerk, a developer,
12 management or whatever. It's unbecoming and does not promote a positive
13 image.
14
15 > Not really, I can only do what I do because I read stuff. Anybody else
16 > can easily do the same.
17
18 That makes the assumption everyone has the same amount of knowledge you
19 did when you started using Gentoo.
20
21 I don't know C#, for example. As a result, any attempt to program with
22 Mono would be futile and result in failure.
23
24 > I would like to point out that it was you who flamed me for apparently
25 > saying RTFM, when in fact if you read my original email, I did nothing
26 > of the sort.
27
28 You gave a logical RTFM. You're being literal with words when the
29 meaning of what you said should be fairly clear. You didn't want to
30 answer the question, so you flamed the person who asked instead of
31 answering or defering to a more helpful individual.
32
33 > I merely pointed out what should have been clear to anyone
34 > that signed up for this list, that it is not for whining about arch
35 > keywording.
36
37 Not everyone is like you. There are all sorts of different people out
38 there who process information in a lot of different ways. Without a
39 stated correct place for asking questions about keywording, it wouldn't
40 be hard to rationalise that the proper place is the dev mailing list.
41
42 You say it should be obvious like it's fact. Not everything is obvious
43 to everyone--Not everyone is a Steve or Stephanie. They may interpret
44 conveyed information in different ways and the ambiguity does not help
45 at all.
46
47 There's a reason devs rarely answer questions. Devs should do what they
48 do best, code and fix problems according to SE principles. If you really
49 want to answer questions, go ahead, but if you don't want to be helpful,
50 don't say anything. Someone else who does want to will chime in with a
51 helpful response.
52
53 > Sounds like you had an agenda to bitch about and found my
54 > email to be convenient. In other words, you have no point.
55 >
56 > -Steve
57
58 I do have an agenda. I won't deny that. I think the Gentoo philosophy is
59 essentially perfect, both as a development philosophy and also as an
60 operational philosophy. When I see a dev who violates this philosophy
61 with the way they behave, I am inclined to call them on it.
62 Kari Hazzard
63 --
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list