From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:15:11
1 Kari Hazzard wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 04 April 2006 2:28 am, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >> I fail to see how pointing out a post was offtopic is mean. Rather, it
4 >> will save that individual (and hopefully others) from making the same
5 >> mistake in the future.
6 >
7 > Then refer the poster to the correct place to send such inquiries. That is the
8 > logical way to deal with OT messages. You failed to do this, and instead
9 > offered a derrogatory message contributing absolutely nothing positive.
10
11 I hate to break it to you, but there really is no such place for such
12 queries. We generally consider it rude when users whine about stable
13 keywording. Therefore, I don't feel bad about a short response.
16 >> Also, RTFM is absolutely the right answer more often than not.
17 >> Otherwise, what is the point of having TFM in the first place? The
18 >> amusement of those who spent a lot of time and effort writing it?
19 >>
20 >> -Steve
21 >
22 > TFM exists to be read, yes, but not everyone reads TFM. You are a developer.
23 > That's great, I'm sure you can do a lot of things with Gentoo that I'd be
24 > completely dumbfounded about, being myself not a developer.
25
26 Not really, I can only do what I do because I read stuff. Anybody else
27 can easily do the same.
30 > If we're going to say that Gentoo is a valid and worthwhile operating system,
31 > we need to support that idea by maintaining our image as a group of people,
32 > both users and developers. The Gentoo philosophy of continual growth and
33 > improvement doesn't just apply to software. It applies to everyone on this
34 > list, how they conduct themselves, how they behave.
35 >
36 > I suggest patching your question-answering skills in light of this bug. :)
37
38 I would like to point out that it was you who flamed me for apparently
39 saying RTFM, when in fact if you read my original email, I did nothing
40 of the sort. I merely pointed out what should have been clear to anyone
41 that signed up for this list, that it is not for whining about arch
42 keywording. Sounds like you had an agenda to bitch about and found my
43 email to be convenient. In other words, you have no point.
44
45 -Steve
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list