From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system-logger
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 13:11:17
1 On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 20:36, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 18:37, Daniel Robbins wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:17:48PM +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
4 > > > IMHO we should have a "default" one or at least one that we recommend.
5 > > > Most people doesn't really care as long as it just works, and by making
6 > > > people make the descission while installing only confuses lots of
7 > > > people.
8 > > >
9 > > > So, we should do either of two schemes:
10 > > >
11 > > > 1) Install a default one and make a note in the documents that you can
12 > > > change it.
13 > >
14 > > We'll probably take this approach. Unfortunately, I haven't had time
15 > > to evaluate them, so I'm hoping to get feedback on metalog and syslog-ng
16 > > from users.
19 > Personally I like sysklogd, as it is clean and easy to
20 > configure (not overly complex) and should fullfill the
21 > needs of most users. It is also fairly configured out of
22 > the box, and comes with a simlple logrotate script.
23 > Another point is that ours is configured to limit the
24 > logging to console, so no 'unasked for' logs while busy
25 > on irc, etc.
26
27 Forgot to add: since it is used by most distro as default
28 (as far as I know), it should be familiar to most.
33 Martin Schlemmer
34 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
35 Cape Town, South Africa