From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system-logger
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:38:41
1 On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 18:37, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:17:48PM +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
3 > > IMHO we should have a "default" one or at least one that we recommend.
4 > > Most people doesn't really care as long as it just works, and by making
5 > > people make the descission while installing only confuses lots of
6 > > people.
7 > >
8 > > So, we should do either of two schemes:
9 > >
10 > > 1) Install a default one and make a note in the documents that you can
11 > > change it.
12 >
13 > We'll probably take this approach. Unfortunately, I haven't had time
14 > to evaluate them, so I'm hoping to get feedback on metalog and syslog-ng
15 > from users.
18 Personally I like sysklogd, as it is clean and easy to
19 configure (not overly complex) and should fullfill the
20 needs of most users. It is also fairly configured out of
21 the box, and comes with a simlple logrotate script.
22 Another point is that ours is configured to limit the
23 logging to console, so no 'unasked for' logs while busy
24 on irc, etc.
28 Martin Schlemmer
29 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
30 Cape Town, South Africa