From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] whitelisting the env ebuilds execute in
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:04:45
1 On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 03:48:03PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:40:16 -0600 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Assuming no one can come up with a valid reason why the entire user
5 > | env must be dumped into the compilation environment, whitelisting of
6 > | vars that are allowed in would be the next step. LINGUAS,
7 > | EXTRA_ECONF, etc.
8 >
9 > Will this whitelist be developer-controllable, or will we have to wait
10 > several years any time we want something added to it?
11 At the moment, was thinking of having it be a stackable list, defaults supplied by portage, *potentially* profiles
12 can override/adjust it, and ebuilds themselves can request vars be brought in- note that's only possible *after*
13 sourcing the ebuild. Shouldn't be an issue anyways, cause people don't do evil things like env based
14 settings/adjustments in the global scope, right? :)
15
16 Re: portage controlling things, not the intention. Wouldn't be trying to move bin/* code into the tree if it were.
17 ~harring