From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] iuse defaults example
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 09:58:41
1 On 2007/07/10, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > for some flags yes ... for others, i dislike that idea for the exact
4 > same reason for the other profile-based suggestions: these defaults
5 > should live in the ebuild, not the profile
6
7 I agree that putting per-package defaults in ebuilds is far more
8 elegant than putting them in profiles.
9
10 My point is just that it doesn't work that well with the USE_ORDER that
11 have been chosen. Even keeping the "-* in make.conf" case appart
12 (obviously my opinion on how it should behave was not widely shared, i
13 can live with that), there is still a problem with -* in make.defaults
14 files: the day you switch from IUSE="nocxx" to IUSE="+cxx", will you
15 remember that, as a consequence, you have to fix hardened/2.6/minimal
16 profile?
17
18 And also, in bug #61732 there is this comment from Zac about "-foo" not
19 being supported because pkginternal is at the bottom of the stack.
20 Imho, that's missing a great opportunity to make users' life a bit
21 easier... Take the "gtk" flag, which is on by default in usual desktop
22 profiles, but as the drawback to trigger GTK+-1.2 installation just for
23 a few CLI programs which comes with an optional obsolete GUI: wouldn't
24 it be nice if said packages could state IUSE="-gtk", so that the
25 default behavior would be to install only GTK+-2.x GUIs? I'm pretty
26 sure it would save a tenth of /etc/portage/package.use entries for many
27 users.
30 TGL.
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list