From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Using Gentoo Live CD as a rescue disk
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:51:05
1 On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:11:15 +0200
2 Andreas Waschbuesch <awaschb@××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > cycloon wrote:
5 >
6 > >[Tom Saker wrote:]
7 > >> If I understand your website correctly I can use the LiveCD as a
8 > >> rescue disk without installing Gentoo onto my hard drive. If this
9 > >> is correct where can I find instructions on how to do this. Thank
10 > >> you.
11 > >
12 > > uhm, just put it in your cdrom and start your pc. after a minute you
13 > > hav a working gentoo system with lots of system-analyzing tools. Maybe
14 > > i misunderstood your Question but it is that easy
15 >
16 > Yes - or seems at least. But what does one do if he/she has none of
17 > those three or OK maybe four NICs supported by the iso? Right. Nothing.
18 > Those gentoo-isos are for gaming only IMHO. If You want HW support get
19 > knoppix.
20 >
21 > -> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix
24 The livecd's are a little more than that, IMHO, but you've made a point
25 though... The new functionalities (live linux rather than system in ram
26 filesystem, web browser, irc client, xwindows and... well, games) have come,
27 it seems, at a price...
28
29 Indeed, according to the bugs in bugs.gentoo.org, and what I see from time
30 to time on irc, there seem to be a lot of problems when configuring and
31 using some special hardware with the livecd (pcmcia for example but not
32 only)
33
34 I do hope the cds of the final 1.4 release won't suffer of these symptoms
35 (it only means, I guess, a reconfiguration of the kernel and modules present
36 on the cd) Btw, some beta-testing should be done, and I'm rather surprised
37 to see that the livecd on www.gentoo.org is already one month old...
40 As concerns knoppix, I would think that, for what concerns gentoo
41 installation, it is rather overkill... The basic gentoo livecd has
42 everything I want. What is the use of kde, openoffice during the very first
43 stages of installation ?
44
45 Please, gentoo developers, upload as soon as possible a new livecd... It is
46 a little tireful to have to propose to gentooers to use the old gentoo 1.2
47 iso (derived from the 1.1a iso) rather than the livecd...
48
49 Just my two cents,
50 --
51 Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>