From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] et_EE locale and language of error messages
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:54:13
1 On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 11:38:06AM +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > there are at least two problems with how portage currently handles locales:
5 >
6 > - Firstly some packages fail to build with obscure LC_* settings
7 > The continuous stream of et_EE bugs is annoying: http://tinyurl.com/jsqzb
8 >
9 > - and secondly I get my gcc output in german when I have a german locale
10 > set. This makes it really hard to report bugs or the bugreports are useless
11 > for most developers that do not understand the language.
12 >
13 > Those problems cannot be easily workarounded since portage does not use
14 > LC_ALL and LANG settings from /etc/make.conf
15 >
16 > I propose to have the portage build environment set the language to English
17 > or LC_ALL=C by default. That would significantly reduce the bugs with
18 > unreadable error messages+ solve all the et_EE bugs at once.
19 >
20 > One problem could be that packages depend on LC_* to install the correct
21 > language. But that is a real bug then in my opinion, because ebuilds should
22 > only honour LINGUAS and not LC_* during build time. Those bugs should be
23 > detected and fixed.
24 >
25 > What do you think? LC_ALL=C in portage or not?
26
27 No, it's needlessly unfriendly to users, and encourages broken packages.
28 et_EE breakage should be fixed, and slowly but surely is, and as for
29 unreadable error messages, getting German gcc output in a German locale
30 is a feature, not a bug. It can indeed be a problem in bugreports, but
31 it's a much milder one, since it's trivial to look up what any
32 particular message is translated from.
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list