From: Ralph Seichter <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: acct-{user,group} for milter (438)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 14:46:12
1 * Michael Orlitzky:
2
3 > (a) we still have a dumb security vulnerability, in that these daemons
4 > can modify each others' files
5
6 That vulnerability has existed as long as the second package came around
7 and re-used the "milter" user, and to my knowledge nothing bad has come
8 of it so far.
9
10 I have an open PR[1] that the QA checks on GitHub will not allow to pass
11 unless I migrate milter-regex to using acct-* instead of user.eclass, so
12 that is what I did.
13
14 [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/13964
15
16 > (b) you have to be careful not to do anything in acct-user/milter that
17 > could break someone's opendmarc setup
18
19 Milter-regex only needs a user to isolate the process and it's single
20 configuration file (/etc/milter-regex.conf). My PR adds acct-user/milter
21 without a home directory, because milter-regex does not need one, nor
22 does it write anything to disk. It is designed to hold everything in
23 memory only.
24
25 Could that lack of a home directory hurt OpenDMARC? I use OpenDMARC and
26 milter-regex on the same servers and did not run into problems.
27
28 -Ralph