From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: acct-{user,group} for milter (438)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 23:18:48
1 On 12/15/19 9:46 AM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 >
3 > Milter-regex only needs a user to isolate the process and it's single
4 > configuration file (/etc/milter-regex.conf). My PR adds acct-user/milter
5 > without a home directory, because milter-regex does not need one, nor
6 > does it write anything to disk. It is designed to hold everything in
7 > memory only.
8
9 Right, this is what I was anticipating.
12 > Could that lack of a home directory hurt OpenDMARC? I use OpenDMARC and
13 > milter-regex on the same servers and did not run into problems.
14
15 That's what I don't know. I think it's unlikely that OpenDMARC's user
16 needs a home directory, but the daemon may expect /var/lib/milter to be
17 writable and currently that happens as a side effect of the enewuser
18 call. If acct-user/milter (with no home directory) is installed first,
19 then /var/lib/milter won't exist and be writable.
20
21 You might also affect people who have modified their OpenDMARC user's
22 home directory or shell, if there's any reason to do that. Michał
23 already posted the solution to that problem (override acct-user/milter
24 in an overlay), but if that happens then people will be overriding one
25 daemon's user to keep another unrelated daemon working -- not very
26 aesthetically pleasing.
27
28 tl;dr if I were you I would rather not have to worry about any of this.
29
30 I'm sure someone will object to the name acct-user/_milter-regex, but
31 that would be the easiest option, being the upstream default. It's also
32 unlikely that someone will try to repurpose that user for another milter
33 in the future, putting us back in the same situation as we are with
34 OpenDMARC today.