From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why went unusable versions stable?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:47:32
1 On Sun, 2005-13-03 at 02:51 +0200, Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > Olivier Crête wrote:
3 > >On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 01:01 +0100, Ernst Herzberg wrote:
4 > >>>dev-util/esvn:
5 > >>
6 > >>0.6.8-r1 was masked, and has some crazy bugs, that this stuff is not usable
7 > >>for an 'enduser'. If you select an 'working directory', the last character of
8 > >>the path get lost. You have to create a workspace, select there a working
9 > >>directory, add the last character by hand....
10 > >>
11 > >>OkOk, as long as this stuff is masked, no problem. BUT: Upstream has released
12 > >>a new version with this bug fixed. Why went the buggy version stable? And the
13 > >>new with the bug fixed version is masked? That make no sense to me.
14 > >>
15 > >>Can somebody explain that?
16 > >
17 > >Maybe you should ask MrNess... But he doesn't seem to think that testing
18 > >is important...
19 >
20 > This package I happen to use at work, I could say I did more than a
21 > simple test.
22 > Do you suggest that, if this bug is real, I should know about?
23 > Do you understand that tests don't always detect bugs, right?
24
25 Ohh I was just commenting on another QA related thread... and I was
26 extrapolating that this might be related to a certain QA policy that
27 certain developers seem to follow... But it is sure that testing doesn't
28 find the interesting bugs (that's why we need users!)...
31 Olivier Crête
32 tester@g.o
33 x86 Security Liaison