From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please avoid absolute paths in patched filenames
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:56:22
1 On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 20:24 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > I ask it here as a favour, please avoid using absolute paths in the
3 > filenames of patched files. This mean avoid having stuff like
4 >
5 > --- foobar/foo.c
6 > +++ /tmp/foobar/foobar.c
7 >
8 > This tends to break from time to time, and I had to fix at least three
9 > packages since I started my treewide build for these problems. I already
10 > asked Zac about adding such a check on repoman, but in the mean time I'd
11 > like to ask here for people to verify their packages.
12 >
13 > I actually am culprit of doing this some time ago but I learnt my lesson
14 > the hard way :P My suggestion for everybody else is to use quilt when
15 > you need to write patches.
16 >
17 > And if you have patches with the filenames like I shown above, you can
18 > change it the git way so that it becomes:
19 >
20 > --- a/foobar/foo.c
21 > +++ b/foobar/foo.c
22 >
23 > and the problem is usually solved.
24
25 Could you please expand on what the actual problem is for reference,
26 having never seen them fail myself or hear any fail for others?
30 Mart Raudsepp
31 Gentoo Developer
32 Mail: leio@g.o
33 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio