From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Please avoid absolute paths in patched filenames
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:25:11
1 I ask it here as a favour, please avoid using absolute paths in the
2 filenames of patched files. This mean avoid having stuff like
3
4 --- foobar/foo.c
5 +++ /tmp/foobar/foobar.c
6
7 This tends to break from time to time, and I had to fix at least three
8 packages since I started my treewide build for these problems. I already
9 asked Zac about adding such a check on repoman, but in the mean time I'd
10 like to ask here for people to verify their packages.
11
12 I actually am culprit of doing this some time ago but I learnt my lesson
13 the hard way :P My suggestion for everybody else is to use quilt when
14 you need to write patches.
15
16 And if you have patches with the filenames like I shown above, you can
17 change it the git way so that it becomes:
18
19 --- a/foobar/foo.c
20 +++ b/foobar/foo.c
21