From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-video/ffmpeg: ffmpeg-0.10.2.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:07:44
1 On 03/20/2012 11:47 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:15:45 -0600
3 > Ryan Hill<dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:05:46 -0300
6 >> Alexis Ballier<aballier@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> imho it doesnt hurt anyone to have fine-grained control
9 >>>
10 >>> what could be discussed is to put these into a use expand variable,
11 >>> to better distinguish between important useflags and less important
12 >>> ones
13 >>>
14 >>> is that what you mean by 'putting these under "tools" or
15 >>> something?' ?
16 >>
17 >> No, I meant one USE flag, called "tools", that builds and installs
18 >> all or none of them. Unless they have external dependencies, or
19 >> extraordinary build times, or licensing issues, then I can't see a
20 >> situation where someone would want or need to pick and choose like
21 >> this. If you disagree then I suppose an expanded variable is an
22 >> improvement, though I don't like them myself.
23 >>
24 >> Kudos on the USE flag descriptions in any case. Very informative.
27 > well, there's no extra dep nor licensing issue, and its not that they
28 > are big either, problem is with a merged useflag to rule them all we'll
29 > lose all the descriptions; i can imagine:
30 > tools - install random extra tools
31 >
32 > vs. a per tool useflag describing what it is for
33 >
34 > i clearly prefer the latter, even if it requires me 5 more minutes to
35 > decide the fate of the useflags i'll build the package with
36 >
37 > personally i dont like the tools useflag, the same i dont like the
38 > server one or the minimal one. they're too generic and, for this reason,
39 > useless
42 > if we want to make it a use expand, the only thing we need to agree on
43 > is the prefix i think: what about fftools ? ffmpegtools ?
46 Maybe there could be use expand that could be reused by other ebuilds
47 too? Such as EXTERNAL_TOOLS ?
48
49 - Samuli