From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-video/ffmpeg: ffmpeg-0.10.2.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:48:39
1 On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:15:45 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:05:46 -0300
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > imho it doesnt hurt anyone to have fine-grained control
8 > >
9 > > what could be discussed is to put these into a use expand variable,
10 > > to better distinguish between important useflags and less important
11 > > ones
12 > >
13 > > is that what you mean by 'putting these under "tools" or
14 > > something?' ?
15 >
16 > No, I meant one USE flag, called "tools", that builds and installs
17 > all or none of them. Unless they have external dependencies, or
18 > extraordinary build times, or licensing issues, then I can't see a
19 > situation where someone would want or need to pick and choose like
20 > this. If you disagree then I suppose an expanded variable is an
21 > improvement, though I don't like them myself.
22 >
23 > Kudos on the USE flag descriptions in any case. Very informative.
26 well, there's no extra dep nor licensing issue, and its not that they
27 are big either, problem is with a merged useflag to rule them all we'll
28 lose all the descriptions; i can imagine:
29 tools - install random extra tools
30
31 vs. a per tool useflag describing what it is for
32
33 i clearly prefer the latter, even if it requires me 5 more minutes to
34 decide the fate of the useflags i'll build the package with
35
36 personally i dont like the tools useflag, the same i dont like the
37 server one or the minimal one. they're too generic and, for this reason,
38 useless
41 if we want to make it a use expand, the only thing we need to agree on
42 is the prefix i think: what about fftools ? ffmpegtools ?