From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 16:07:19
1 Jeroen Roovers:
2 > On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 14:41:04 +0000
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> The amount of contributors (with real patches and real ebuilds) is
6 >> constantly decreasing,
7 >
8 > As evidenced where exactly?
11 I am not sure if that is a joke. You can pretty much ask most major
12 gentoo projects. The ones where I was involved more deeply definitely
13 suffer from that problem, including sunrise and games team. Science team
14 gave up importing major ebuilds to the tree and just let users manage
15 them on github, because that workflow sucks less.
16
17 People are increasingly using their own overlays, because they don't
18 want to bother with our collaboration walls.
19
20 That's reality.
21
22 >> because our workflow is horrible. I hope you
23 >> don't actually think that bugzilla is an appropriate review platform.
24 >
25 > A poor workman ...
28 Work smart, not hard.
29
30 >> The situation with lack of mentors is more than a small problem.
31 >
32 > If you need mentoring to write patches for OpenRC then you should
33 > probably focus on lesser goals for the time being.
36 That's a common attitude in opensource, but still wrong and does not
37 improve collaboration. Especially when we are talking about our own
38 community.
39
40 "Figure it out yourself or get lost!"?