From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic dependencies
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:09:59
1 On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > here's a quote from the Council 20140826 summary:
6 >
7 >> Dynamic dependencies in Portage
8 >> ===============================
9 >> During discussion, is was remarked that some changes, e.g. to
10 >> dependencies in eclasses, could require mass rebuilds of packages.
11 >>
12 >> Vote:
13 >> - "The council asks the Portage team to first outline their long-term
14 >> plan regarding removal or replacement of dynamic dependencies,
15 >> before they remove this feature. In particular, tree policies and
16 >> the handling of eclasses and virtuals need to be clarified."
17 >> Accepted unanimously.
18 >
19 > Since there seems to be interest in the Portage team to go ahead with that
20 > plan, I'd like to ask about the tree policies and the handling of eclasses and
21 > virtuals.
22
23 I'll go ahead and start a tangent on this thread right here. As a
24 first step can we separately consider the proposal to require a
25 revbump anytime a package's RDEPENDS changes? I'm referring here to
26 directly-specified RDEPENDS, not those inherited from an eclass or
27 virtual.
28
29 I agree completely that we need to solve the eclass and virtual issue
30 and that is by far the stickier part of the mess. However, can we at
31 least get ebuild authors to stop making changes to their RDEPENDS
32 without revbumps? If nothing else that will hopefully provide some
33 immediate relief to users with dependency breakage, and it doesn't
34 entail the amount of mass-rebuilding you can potentially get with the
35 eclass and virtual side of the problem.
36
37 And I acknowledge that this is not my original idea...
40 Rich