From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:27:01
1 On Wednesday 23 November 2005 05:01, Andrew Muraco wrote:
2 >
3 > (I've read all of the comments up until now, but my response is not
4 > directed at any particular post.)
5 >
6 > Facts: (according to me, and what I've read)
7 > -The releng team DID make a good decision by making stage 3 default in
8 > the instructions.
9 > -The releng team _DID_NOT_ do a sufficient job of making the community
10 > aware of the changes BEFORE they occurred (I didn't know about this
11 > change until after it was done, and Gentoo.org is my home page, I read
12 > the GWN)
13 > -Stage 1 & 2 tar balls and instructions ARE available
14 >
15 > OPINION:
16 > - This change should be GLEP'd, as it effects everyone that installs
17 > Gentoo (to some degree, most do not suffer tho)
18 > - Stage 1 SHOULD continue to be released and maintained, instructions
19 > clearly stating risks and LACK of SUPPORT and easily visibility from
20 > the install docs (which it seems it does not have (according to posts),
21 > although, It is perfectly clear to me.)
22
23 This whole issue has been discussed on gentoo-releng@g.o before. While not
24 quite as noisy as dev, everyone had their say. It is clear to me that the
25 decision is right the way it was made. A GLEP wasn't necessary as it was
26 discussed and approved by all involved (on the releng list).
27
28 Most people that complain are probably misinformed about the usefulness of
29 stages 1 and 2. They are really only useful if you know what you're doing
30 and don't really need the handbook that much. Those users should be able
31 to find the alternative installation docs. I do agree however that there
32 should be some link to the relevant documentation from the handbook.
33
34 Paul
37 Paul de Vrieze
38 Gentoo Developer