From: Panagiotis Christopoulos <pchrist@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:55:07
1 On 22:14 Wed 16 Jan , Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2013, 00:36:18 schrieb Andreas K. Huettel:
3 > OK, I consider this consensus enough.
4 >
5 > ...
6 >
7 > Being the one that does the work, the server profiles are disappearing in
8 > 13.0.
11 Err, ok, so now guys, we 're offering a base profile* with dri, cups, gmp,
12 fortran and pppd(?) enabled, at the same time openmp enabled but threads
13 disabled, no sockets, no caps no apache2 or mysql that I would probably
14 want if I wanted to build a server box etc. and we officially drop the
15 server profiles (which is true, they're unmaintained for ages).
16
17 I've been devaway for long, probably this was discussed in the past (as
18 Ian (axs) pointed out), but am I the only one who finds it a little wrong? Don't
19 get me wrong on my example, above. Eg. I love fortran, however I don't know why I should
20 build it on every gcc update if I don't use it in my server (of course I
21 can disabled it, yes I know).
22
23 Many have said that a "server" is something very generic, so is
24 "desktop". I think profiles were invented to make things easier and
25 safer for users, so now we 're doing it for "desktop" users but people
26 who want to build a server box have to scratch their heads from the
27 first moment. I'm fine with that if our community is fine with that.
28
29 I'm not blaming anyone, as the server profiles are useless atm, it was the
30 right call to remove them. I'm just wondering if this happened because they
31 were not maintained properly or because we really don't need them.
32
33 Panagiotis
34
35 * I took as example the base default/linux/amd64/10.0 .
36
37 ps. I'll try find the old discussions which may help me understand
38 things better.
41 Panagiotis Christopoulos ( pchrist )
42 ( Gentoo Lisp Project )