From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 03:17:58
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Panagiotis Christopoulos
2 <pchrist@g.o> wrote:
3 > Err, ok, so now guys, we 're offering a base profile* with dri, cups, gmp,
4 > fortran and pppd(?) enabled, at the same time openmp enabled but threads
5 > disabled, no sockets, no caps no apache2 or mysql that I would probably
6 > want if I wanted to build a server box etc. and we officially drop the
7 > server profiles (which is true, they're unmaintained for ages).
8
9 Keep in mind that the current server profile has all the problems you
10 just listed as well.
11
12 Oh, and keep in mind that flags really only have an effect if the
13 corresponding packages are actually installed. For example, the cups
14 flag doesn't really have an effect unless you install apps that do
15 printing, so it seems pretty safe to leave in a minimal profile (would
16 you really want to install libreoffice, chromium, or foomatic and not
17 have cups support?). The only non-desktopy package I see that uses
18 cups is samba, and if you're setting up a samba server there is a
19 decent chance you'd want cups anyway.
20
21 So, I wouldn't equate minimal as -*. I think that it makes sense to
22 have use flags that result in a very conservative installation of the
23 core packages (which isn't necessarily completely minimal), and which
24 don't pull in a lot of dependencies for other packages unless most
25 would want them anyway.
26
27 By all means point out use flags that actually do cause issues with
28 servers. However, be careful about knee-jerk reactions. Many flags
29 really do make sense in context - they don't do anything on a minimal
30 system, and when they do bring in dependencies they tend to be ones
31 you'd want anyway.
32
33 And, of course, when many of those profiles were first crafted there
34 were not package-level USE defaults, so that is something we can also
35 leverage to cut down on global flag settings (one way or the other).
36
37 Rich