From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 19:27:46
1 On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:17:26 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Oh, and keep in mind that flags really only have an effect if the
5 > corresponding packages are actually installed. For example, the cups
6 > flag doesn't really have an effect unless you install apps that do
7 > printing, so it seems pretty safe to leave in a minimal profile (would
8 > you really want to install libreoffice, chromium, or foomatic and not
9 > have cups support?).
10
11 Really? Yes, I can see plenty of cases where I’d want LO or Chromium
12 but with USE=-cups, because there’s no printer anywhere in sight. Why
13 should that mean I don’t want an office suite or a web browser?
14 Probably not so much foomatic (though maybe there are other printing
15 frameworks than CUPS that people might use?), but LO and Chromium
16 absolutely.
17
18 Chris