From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 19:32:10
1 On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:17:26 -0500
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Oh, and keep in mind that flags really only have an effect if the
6 >> corresponding packages are actually installed. For example, the cups
7 >> flag doesn't really have an effect unless you install apps that do
8 >> printing, so it seems pretty safe to leave in a minimal profile (would
9 >> you really want to install libreoffice, chromium, or foomatic and not
10 >> have cups support?).
11 >
12 > Really? Yes, I can see plenty of cases where I’d want LO or Chromium
13 > but with USE=-cups, because there’s no printer anywhere in sight. Why
14 > should that mean I don’t want an office suite or a web browser?
15 > Probably not so much foomatic (though maybe there are other printing
16 > frameworks than CUPS that people might use?), but LO and Chromium
17 > absolutely.
18
19 Sure, I can think of reasons why I would want chromium with -cups, but
20 the whole point is to target the TYPICAL user. And the context here
21 is servers - how many servers would have chromium installed with
22 -cups? If anything I'd expect more servers to have CUPS installed
23 than chromium in the first place.
24
25 Rich