From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:41:40
1 On Thursday 26 January 2006 08:02, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
2 > >
3 > > RTFM - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
4 >
5 > Except that is for an *already installed* system.
6 >
7 > Again, you didn't take into account the simple thing called common
8 > sense. If you're already going to be doing an "emerge -e system" in
9 > there, would it not make sense to:
10 >
11 > emerge -uav gcc
12 > gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4
13 > source /etc/profile
14 > emerge --oneshot -av libtool
15 > emerge -eav system
16
17 You guys have made the decision to stop supporting stage1 installs. The
18 "official" installation method is a stage3. What I documented, and tested,
19 is what you are telling users they have to do. Download stage3, emerge
20 --sync, update system.
21
22 The only problem is that you don't actually tell the users what to do when
23 there are major issues, such as gcc upgrades. There is no link in the
24 handbook or the gentoo documentation page mentioning the fact that they
25 can't just upgrade their gcc without going through the proper process you
26 mention above. What I documented is what any user would _need_ to do to
27 get their system installed using your recommended installation method.
28
29 And those instructions have nothing whatsoever to do with common sense from
30 a new, or even experienced users perspective. Knowing that a gcc upgrade
31 will break libtool is not common sense, nor is it commonly known.
32
33 > Remember that with a stage3 tarball, you don't *have* a world to
34 > rebuild, so you're simply rebuilding "system" twice.
35
36 Yes, but I have been called an idiot here for following the instructions
37 given to upgrade gcc. They are not my instructions, they are not the way I
38 would do it, they are YOUR instructions.
39
40 > As I said, you're wasting your time (and ours since we're continuing to
41 > even talk to you on this).
42
43 You are certainly entitled to that opinion.