From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:50:40
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:53:47PM +0200, Wernfried Haas wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:13:16PM +0200, Christian Birchinger wrote:
3 > > Then you remove the profile just like you would remove any piece
4 > > of software where the license is unacceptable.
5 >
6 > Please look a bit up in the thread, my point was not only the profile
7 > but integrating a package manager we have no control over.
8 >
9 > > The arguments are getting more and more "creative". It's almost
10 > > like asking what we will do when gcc turns into a commercial
11 > > product.
12 >
13 > The package manager is a central piece, if we ever want to change our
14 > package manager we really should think about problems like that.
15 >
16 > > Please try to stay realistic and don't invent strange new
17 > > theoretical problems.
18 >
19 > Better safe then sorry.
22 It's GPL-2, no? If the license changes before it's a full
23 replacment ... remove the profile. If it changes after it
24 became the standard ... fork it.
25
26 I think at the moment there's no plan to replace anything.
27 There was a simple request to add a profile to make it easier
28 for some people to develop something. We can talk about
29 replacing anything later, when there are more intrusive
30 requests like changing all ebuilds etc.
31
32 I honestly think people are just bringing up the wildest things
33 just to find another reason to say "no". It Looks a bit like
34 even good ideas and project have no chance when they come from
35 "the wrong people".
36
37 Christian
38 --