From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] PROPERTIES=virtual for meta-packages (clarification of definition)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:08:56
1 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> posted 48B440F6.7020705@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:44:22 -0700:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> I therefore believe I like just moving them all to a *virtual*/
6 >> category better, thus obviating the need for that particular property
7 >> in the first place.
8 >
9 > This has been suggested elsewhere in the thread [1] but I think the the
10 > PROPERTIES approach will be more flexible and practical for the reasons
11 > that I've already stated.
12 >
13 > [1]
14 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/
15 msg_65636255c9d284e51898e826cae09ffd.xml
16
17 Maybe it's just 'cause I'm not a dev, but I don't see the reasons you
18 state there as a problem. I specifically addressed the java-virtuals
19 category by suggesting that the trigger could be on "virtual" in the
20 category, not on the single category "virtual", so java-virtuals would be
21 included as would any other *virtual* category, and the java folks
22 wouldn't have to move it after all.
23
24 Moves as for kde/kde-meta might be an issue, but I don't believe any more
25 so than any other package move, and since they're "virtual", possibly
26 less so. The splits, as for qt, might be more confusing, but it's a
27 one-time split either now or (for future packages) whenever they go
28 virtual, at which point there's a lot of work going into them anyway.
29
30 From my perspective, that's not significant additional cost, at least
31 compared to the cost associated with the PROPERTIES=virtual in the first
32 place. Given the advantages, including the clarity of having the virtual
33 property out where all can see it in the category name itself, I think
34 it's worth the relatively small additional cost.
35
36 That said, it'd be nice, and to me, worth the cost, particularly as
37 compared to the cost of implementing a new property anyway, but since I'm
38 not the one implementing it (in either the PM or the packages), feel free
39 to override that opinion.
40
41 There's also conceivably some times when a virtual/pkg_name might not be
42 a proper fit regardless of the property, making the category proposal
43 somewhat less flexible. I can't think of anywhere that such might be the
44 case, but that doesn't mean there aren't such cases. But I still believe
45 the benefit of having the property out there for all to see more valuable
46 than any potentially lost flexibility.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman