From: Stefan Boresch <stefan@×××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making %95 of users happy
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:28:44
1 Please look to the end of this mail why I am cross-posting to
2 gentoo-security.
3
4 On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 04:29:52AM +1000, Todd Wright wrote:
5 >
6 > And to the person (Andrew I think) who quoted the following from the gentoo site as a reason for not having release branches...
7 >
8 > "*Portage allows you to set up Gentoo Linux the way you like it*..."
9 >
10 > It doesnt. Just when I get it how I like it, it changes.
11
12 Great line -- I was going to write a lengthy reply to Andrew's mail,
13 but you put it in one line exactly. (And nailing with =< in
14 /var/cache/edb/world, while a great step in the right direction, isn't
15 sufficient; I totally agree!)
16
17 Here is my suggestion/wish:
18
19 Could one not create an --update security target to emerge. This would
20 always do --update system, plus check for any updates of installed
21 packages (probably without consulting the edb/world file, or rather
22 counterchecking against it (*)) that are "earmarked" security relevant.
23 If such a beast existed, I could put a cron job calling
24 emerge --update security -buildpkg
25 on my test machine, check every morning and distribute the binaries
26 to my network of 20+ workstations after quick tests that nothing serious
27 has been broken.
28
29 This target would give me the best of both worlds: Live on the
30 bleeding edge for my personal machine(s) [ which double as test
31 machines] and have something similar to a frozen major distribution
32 for the network where my boss, my students and collaborators try
33 to get their work done.
34
35 Oh, and I am happy to try contribute to following security alerts
36 and things like that. Unfortunately, I haven't the least clue about
37 python, so I don't feel comfortable about writing --update security
38 myself.
39
40 Stefan
41
42 (*) If a user has nailed a package which has a potential
43 vulnerability, then the --update security target should yell
44 at him, but leave the responsibility with the administrator. That
45 would strike me as good Gentoo philosophy, doesn't it?
48 Stefan Boresch
49 Institute for Theoretical Chemistry and Structural Molecular Biology
50 University of Vienna, Waehringerstr. 17 A-1090 Vienna, Austria
51 Phone: -43-1-427752715 Fax: -43-1-427752790